Show Us Your Life - Marriage Tips

Two posts right in a row? Whoa, I'm on fire today! I haven't participated in Kelly's SUYL in a while, but when I saw what the topic was this week I figured I'd chime in. Now, this will be far from the "best" marriage advice out there, but I can honestly say that it has been a blessing in our relationship time and time again. It has prevented arguments from escalating and has been great at shifting the overall tone of a conversation or somebody's grouchy mood in a matter of seconds. And it's fun. Childish, sure, but fun.

Are you ready for my expert advise?

Do a jig. 

How's that for profound wisdom? Rick and I have an understanding that if either of us calls for the other to do a jig, they MUST stop what they're doing or saying and do it. No matter how mad or grumpy the person is, we are not allowed to turn down the request. Our rules are that it has to be at least 5 seconds long and the person must be smiling when doing it. And if we're in the car and not able to do a jig, we have to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

I know it sounds silly. It is silly, and that's why it works. It's a little hard to stay angry or grouchy when you're doing a jig, right? Sometimes a good dose of humor is exactly what a marriage needs!

Comments

Always Learning said…
Great advice! Learning to laugh and have is so important. Keep up the good work!

www.lorialexander.blogspot.com

Popular Posts