Show Us Your Life - Kids' Rooms


This week the home tour going on over at Kelly's Korner is all about kids' rooms. Harrison's nursery is probably my very favorite room of our house. Mostly because it's the room where I get to spend lots of special time with my little man rocking, nursing, and reading to him. But also because it's the one room of the house that is completely finished! I posted pictures when it was complete last year right before his arrival, so I'm just going to recycle some of those pictures and throw a few more recent ones in as well. Be prepared for picture overload -- I'm just warning you.  :)

Welcome to Harrison's nursery!


My dear friend Ashley made his welcome mum and we got a ton of compliments on it while we were in the hospital. I love it!

This is what you see when you first walk in:




I painted the canvases above his crib and painted and mounted wooden letters to them. A pretty easy and inexpensive project.




Here is another view. We got his dresser at a neat import store and I just love it. I'm going to love it even more when he doesn't need a changing table any more and I can move it to our foyer - haha!  The rocker/glider was actually a great find from, believe it or not, Walmart! I was very skeptical buying it online but have been so pleased with it. The floating shelves are from Ikea, the photo board (with no photos on it, I guess the room isn't completely finished) was made by my sweet friend Tienna, my mom made the framed bear for me when I was a baby and it used to be in my nursery, and the second photo board with H's newborn pics was made by the Hubster himself for our 3rd anniversary (we do traditional gifts and year 3 is leather - how sweet and thoughtful of a gift was that?! He even had "Baby Boyd" engraved at the bottom - it was before we knew the sex and before we had names picked out.) I love that there are so many sentimental things in his nursery.




This little guy is the very first thing we bought our peanut -- we got him on the day we found out I was pregnant (which happened to be on my birthday...talk about best birthday EVER!). I had fallen in love with him and wanted so badly to buy him but it took us much longer to get pregnant than we had expected and I refused to let myself buy anything baby-related until we knew we were going to be able to have one. It was the greatest feeling pulling him off the shelf and knowing that all of our prayers had finally been answered! He's very special and is sort of the inspiration for the nursery -- there are a couple of other sock monkey accents along with the red accent color.



I made this shelf, which was super easy and inexpensive. It was unfinished at Hobby Lobby and I just painted it, used scrapbook paper for the background, and painted and glued wooden letters to spell out his name.



I bought this bookcase when I was in college and was working part time at an unfinished furniture store. Originally I had stained it a medium brown color and we were using it in our office. My mom and Katie painted it red for me and we installed sock monkey fabric on the back panel, which I think gives it a fun finishing touch. Most of the books were mine as a child that my mom saved for me. (notice a few more empty picture frames...terrible, I know!)



Here's the Bible that we read stories out of every night before bedtime. If you are looking for a great children's bible I would highly recommend this one! I love the way the stories read and the art is fantastic as well.




Perfect view from the rocking chair of one of my favorite Bible verses that we put above his closet.



And here's the inside of his closet. We've been so blessed to not have to spend much money on his wardrobe. Between the grandmas, hand-me-downs from friends, and great yard sale finds, Harrison's got a very well-stocked closet! (Now I wish the cooler weather would hurry up and get here so I can actually break out all of the fall sweaters I'm dying to put him in!)



Here is his growth chart that I ordered off of Etsy when I was pregnant with him. I love it because it's canvas and I'll be able to roll it up and keep it forever. I'm getting ready to add his very first mark on his birthday right around the corner. Very bittersweet!



 We had this matte made before he was born and added his footprints, birth stats, and newborn picture. Everybody who came to visit him in the hospital and at home the first week signed it. I thought it was a neat idea to display everybody's comments instead of just putting them in the baby book. If he ever forgets just how much he's loved all he has to do is look at this frame. :)




And how could I not include a picture of my little peanut himself?! Here he is during naptime, you know, when he was supposed to be napping. Not a big fan of naps, this guy. At least he's somewhat gotten to the point where he sometimes plays in his crib. I love to spy on him and see what he does to entertain himself when he's supposed to be sleeping. And this is why I never get anything accomplished during the day. Ha!



I can't wait to see all those other kids' rooms!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really love the red and blue together. It's very soft and sweet as a nursery, but I could easily see it as a little boy's room and someday a big boy's room ~ very versatile!
kimmie said…
I love love love Harrison's nursery. Great colors!!! Harrison is a cutie too!!
I LOVE it!! All of the details are amazing...you have excellent style! Sock monkies are special to us too. Oh, and I love the name Harrison! :)
P.S. I'm pretty sure I've told you like 100 times that I love his name - ha! :)
Megan said…
Adorable room! And we love our Jesus Story Book Bible too!
Anonymous said…
I can't believe that you failed to mention that I glued the W on backwards. R
Jamie Kubeczka said…
Super cute! I love the sock monkey theme!
Anonymous said…
tell on yourself boy...the room is beautiful... creative momma...have a great day. love mary
*Kelly* said…
What a great room. Love the huge initials. so great! The shelves are awesome
Leigh said…
I love it!!!! so cute!
Unknown said…
Love the initials and the colors. Wonderful nursery. I'm now following you, hope you'll check out my blog www.jandshoughton.blogspot.com.
twinkietotmom said…
Harrison's room is just adorable! I love each and everyone one of the details of it! I especially love his bookshelf...I need something like that for my son's room!
Jocelyn said…
Wow... Harrison's room is really adorable and well-thought out. I love every aspect of it... the lamp, the canvases/letters over his crib, the bedding... everything! You did a great job of putting together something very cute but also great for a boy.
Betsey said…
I love that bedding! I've been looking at it for over a year for a girl's nursery. I like that you used it for a boy. Did you just have the flowery part of the bumper recovered with the minky fabric? Great idea!
Jamiey said…
May I ask where you had the custom mat made for the frame and approximate sizes of each cut out. I would love to replicate something similar for our little one coming this April.

Thank you!
Kelsey said…
Jamiey, the frame is approx 18x22 and the mat cutouts are 4x4 on each side and 4x6 in the middle. The cutouts for his stats are 4x1. I had the matte made at Aaron Brothers and it was pretty reasonable. It's one of my favorite things in his room; I love reading what friends and family (and even my dr and nurse) wrote and reminiscing about his birthday :) good luck to you and congrats on your little one soon to be here!
Kelsey said…
And Betsey, I'm so sorry I never responded! I don't know how I missed your question. Yes, I thought the flower panel was a little too girly for a boy space so I had a piece of minky fabric monogrammed and then I hand stitched it over the flower. A friend of mine used the same bedding set for her little girl and her nursery turned out so cute...I love it for either gender!

Popular Posts