#4 - What Do You Listen To?

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music. However, these days I'm sure a lot of people would say my hip factor has taken a nose dive. I'm far from a prude; don't get me wrong. But after having kids I've really started noticing how trashy some of the popular music has become and I find myself sticking to either Christian or country music while we're in the car. Harrison's way too young to understand the lyrics at this point, but I can't even imagine trying to explain lyrics like this (in reference to teenagers, no less), "let's go all the way tonight / no regrets, just love" or even worse, "'cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it / sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it / sticks and stones may break my bones / but chains and whips excite me". Um. Yeah. Kinda the opposite of the values we're trying to instill in them, you think? I'd like to try to keep them innocent for as long as I possibly can. I think a reasonable goal is something like until they're 32 or so.

As far as my favorites, it's no secret that Kenny Chesney is the love second love of my life. His music seriously does my soul some GOOD. And a funny story -- over the weekend our new neighbors invited us over to hang out and get to know each other. In walks their cat, and I asked Erica what her name was. Get this -- her name is Chesney. Erica's husband apparently has a man-crush on Kenny and insisted on naming the cat after him. Ha! (I tried that card with baby names, but for some reason Rick wouldn't go for it) So I guess it's safe to say that our street is definitely representing!

Other favorites of mine would be Chris Tomlin (seriously LOVE his music), Keith Urban, Rob Thomas, The Eagles, Taylor Swift, The Beach Boys, The David Crowder Band, Sugarland, The Beatles, Jack Ingram, and a bunch of others that I'm sure I'm forgetting. I usually just have the tv on my Pandora station and just let it decide for me.



Comments

Tienna said…
I completely agree with you about the music. I notice more and more that I don't have any music playing in the car now, and we don't even have kiddo's yet. And I rarely listen to anything new (though I do adore Taylor Swift). Yeah, we really are prude's now, lady. But it's ok, I'm proud of it. I'd like to think it's a sign that we're "growing up" (ugh, I hate those words). :)

Popular Posts