Dear Kelsey, Love Kenny

So have I told you that I kinda sorta, just a little bit like Kenny Chesney? No, you didn't know that about me? I guess I really shouldn't keep our relationship such a secret!

The truth is, we're pretty tight. In fact, one day we almost even met! I tried. Trust me, I tried. Borderline putting my job on the line tried, but we missed each other by minutes. But I won't bore you again with that story.

Anyway, his new CD came out yesterday. It's been THREE years since his last, and I was a little sad that I wouldn't be rushing out to get the new one. As much as I love my Kenny, we are trying to follow a really complicated financial plan right now. It's called don't spend any money unless you absoulutely have to. It's pretty revolutionary, I know! Well my fabulous, sweet, fabulous (did I mention fabulous?) husband came home and surprised me with it anyway. He told me that it was a "need." Fabulous, I tell you!

There's nothing better than unwrapping a new CD, loading it, and hearing fresh, new music for the first time. I love that feeling of a familiar voice mixed with the undiscovered territory of new songs as you explore your way through each of the tracks.  For me, it's like getting to know the artist better...almost like a second or third "date" if you will. This CD marks date #15 for Kenny and me, but if you add in all of the concerts I've been to and interviews and shows I've watched then we're practically engaged already. Yeah, from now on we'll just refer to him as my fiance.  ;)

We've been listening to it all day in the car and at the house and, no surprise, it's a great album. I was especially flattered when I got to the last track and discovered that he had written a song about me! Sure, it mentions a few other people in there too but I know deep down that he was mostly thinking of me when he wrote it. How sweet of him to give me so much credit!


I Didn't Get Here Alone

To everyone who helped pave my way
If it weren't for you I wouldn't be here today
To all my friends, the girls, the broken hearts
All the critics, cynics and doubters, y'all know who you are

Mom and dad, and all your prayers
And those looking down from up there

I didn't get here alone
That road's just too rough and long
I might be the one the spotlight's on
But, I didn't get here alone
Yeah, I know I didn't get here alone

That old ball coach that pushed me way too hard
That preacher man said 'Trust in God' and you'll go far
And I'll never forget the songs that changed my path
Just one more reason I'm where I'm at

Yeah, I hit walls and I wanted to quit
I picked myself up but the truth is, yeah, the truth is

I didn't get here alone
That road's just too rough and long
I might be the one the spotlight's on
But, I didn't get here alone
Yeah, I know I didn't get here alone

The crew, the band, yeah, and all you fans
That stood in line rain or shine
I want to thank everybody out there for the ride

'Cause I didn't get here alone
Ain't traveled one mile on my own
You're why I sing my song
You're why I sing my song


And speaking of loyally standing in the rain, here's a picture from his 2007 concert where we got COMPLETELY drenched. But it was totally worth it.

"There's something sexy 'bout the rain...she said as it came pouring down..."

Comments

Tienna said…
So you know I'm not a fany of his. However, your love (*ahem* obsession) for him makes me like him a teeny bit. I mean, not "rush out and buy the new album" like him, but maybe "not turn the radio when his song comes on" like him. :) Love YOU bunches though!!

Popular Posts