Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Week in the Life {Wednesday}

5am - Harper came into our room crying. I guess she had a bad dream but I don't know. I pulled her in bed with us and calmed her down. Harrison was already in our bed at this point and I have no idea what time he came in there. Ugh. I'm ready for this phase to be over. I want my bed back!

6am - Rick was up and getting ready to leave for work and Harrison woke up and started sobbing that he didn't want his daddy to leave. I mean full on waterworks -- it was so sad. I felt awful for Rick because I know he felt terrible. We had to actually pry him off and then Harrison ran ahead and blocked the door and begged him not to go. This is the worst part of him working so much -- it really affects the kids. I tried to distract him with a tv show but he was too upset. He's not usually like this. Just an off morning and a terrible way to start the day for us all. After lots of reassuring that Daddy would be home tonight and reminding him of all the fun things we get to do today he finally started to calm down. And then I went straight for the kid's heart. I told him I bought him some special cereal and he was all smiles from that point on. Ha!

It's a rare treat for the kids to get sugary cereal but it's Harper's birthday week and when I saw this special edition of pink and purple fruity pebbles I thought of her. That girl loves her some pink and purple. And I may or may not have a slight addiction to fruity pebbles and used her as an excuse to buy me some. Ahem. Needless to say, the kids were happy at breakfast today. Harper said, we get to have candy for breakfast?! Yep, pretty much.

I ran around the house like a mad woman trying to get us all ready to leave by 8:30. You would think we wouldn't be running late considering we were up so early, but it never fails. 4 years later and I still can't seem to accurately estimate how much time it takes to get us ready and packed to go.

Wednesdays we have Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). It's become our thing to jam out to worship music on the way there. It really helps us reset our tone since we're usually running late and it also refocuses my heart and prepares it for my bible study. We usually pick one of our anthems and blast the speakers and all three sing at the top of our lungs. I'm sure other cars think we're nuts but it is one of my favorite things of the week to do with my kiddos. They get so in to it and to see them singing to the Lord with such passion is good for my soul.

parked at a red light, don't freak.

Today they picked "Glorious One" and "Lord, I Need You." Such truth in these lyrics.

God of infinite worth
with hands that carve out the ocean
You hold the universe
and still You run to the broken

Glorious One
Glorious One
Light of the world
You outshine the sun
King of all Kings
eternity sings
Glorious One

Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are
And where You are Lord I am free
Holiness is Christ in me
Yes where You are Lord I am free
Holiness is Christ in me

Lord, I need You, oh I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

9am - We got to BSF and I dropped the kids off in their classes. Today was our last day of the year. I cannot even begin to describe how much I've gained through this Matthew study. I had read Matthew countless times before but God used this study to grow my heart more than I would have ever imagined. It felt like each week He was talking directly to me though the passages. I'm so, so thankful for the opportunity to participate and that Rick was able to attend the men's class as well. All four of us studied the same book throughout the year and it's amazing to see how we've been blessed through it. 

11:30am - Since it was the last class of the year our class decided to meet at a park and have a picnic and fellowship time. I grabbed me some lunch from Arby's and swung by Sonic to get the kids some food. I felt bad taking Harrison to a park since he's not allowed to play on any of the equipment, but it didn't bother him at all. He ran around and had a scavenger hunt and looked for bugs. And wouldn't you know it that he still managed to somehow get injured again?? I was walking him to the restroom and he tripped and fell on the gravel trail and ripped all the skin off the palm of his good hand and also scraped up his knees. That kid...not sure what I'm going to do with him!

1pm - We left the park and I stopped by Stacie's house to drop off her lesson since she was sick this morning. Then we came home and I made the kids do their quiet time. This is what Harper thought about that:

But within 20 or 30 minutes of resting in her bed she actually fell asleep. Most days she doesn't and just rolls around and sings the whole time but she wore herself out at the park and I knew she was tired. Harrison spent quiet time playing with his toy trucks. I just love listening in on him through the door and hearing him talk to himself and make a million different sound effects. He has such a creative imagination.

I spent their quiet time picking up the house and making lists for Harper's birthday party this weekend. She demanded sweetly asked for a ballet party and we're having it at a dance studio. This is the first of their parties we've had outside of our house and I'm pretty sure I'm never going back to the old way. SOOO much easier. But I do have one gripe. Whatever happened to the common courtesy of RSVPing? I need a final headcount for the dance instructor and I'm also making tutus for all the little girls. It really makes the planning process a lot more difficult and frustrating when you're having to guess who is going to be there or not.

Harper slept for about an hour and then they sat at the table and drew pictures. Harrison made a galaxy "book" with the moon and stars and aliens. Harper drew princesses of course.

4pm - We loaded up and headed off to run a few errands. Petco to get some dog food and Walmart to get a few party supplies. They were looking at all of Fishy Boyd's brothers and sisters and updated all of them on how happy Fishy Boyd is living at our house. And look how sweet they're being...I caught them holding hands. Sometimes they really do love each other ;)

Next up was Walmart. I know. Yuck. And I don't know if it's just the stress of being in Walmart but I feel like it's physically impossible for my kids to behave in that place. By the time we left they were punching and slapping each other and I'm not gonna lie...I finally stopped nagging them to stop and just let them go at each other. Less spanking I have to do, right? HA!

And as tempted as I was to cancel the next thing on the agenda because of their rotten behavior, I gave them some grace because I didn't want to get in the way of their dad's plans. He felt awful about how Harrison reacted this morning and wanted to surprise them with a fun little treat. We met up with him at Chuck E Cheese (Walmart and Chuck E Cheese back to back...I'm fairly certain I deserve a medal of some sort) for dinner and some family time. But what was funny is that I didn't tell the kids where we were going. They knew they were getting a surprise but they had no idea what it was. I told them I needed to go to Ross first, which is next door to Chuck E Cheese. When we got there, Rick was already in the parking lot.

Harrison: Daddy!!!!! What's our surprise??
Rick: I'm your surprise, buddy! We all get to go to Ross together!
Me: Yeah, Daddy came to meet us and we're all going clothes shopping. If you're good we might get you some new socks!

He cried the entire way to the door and was so distracted by his tears that he didn't even notice that we walked through the doors to Chuck E Cheese and not Ross. We walked in and he finally realized where we were and I'm pretty sure I've never seen a smile so big on his face.

the first thing he goes to every single time

Harrison and Rick played games but Harper just wanted to hang out and wait for the pizza. Which baffles me, because BARF. Going to Chuck E Cheese for dinner is seriously a token of sacrificial love. While we were sitting there, she poured some salt and pepper out on the table and then licked it up. I'll let you meditate on that last sentence for a minute.

At least there probably aren't too many germs there, right? 


We ate and the kids had fun playing. All three of them.


And when it was time for us to leave it went really, really well.

Or not.

Harrison spiraled into full on freak out mode and in all the commotion Harper tripped and scraped her hands and knees. So both of them were crying and it was AWESOME!

I really don't know when the temper tantrums are supposed to end? I thought by almost 4 1/2 they would be over but here lately he's been having some doozies. No matter how much I prepare him for what to expect he can't seem to get his emotions under control. We told him we would have 45 minutes and then we'd have to leave and that no fits were allowed and he gave me a solid "yes ma'am." And then the 45 minutes were over and it was like we dropped a bomb on him and OMG WHY WOULD WE RUIN HIS LIFE LIKE THIS?!?!?! It didn't help when he realized Rick had to go back to work and wasn't going with us to awana. It was this morning all over again and I felt like I had just endured Chuck E Cheese for no reason.

7pm - We got to awana. Harrison finally calmed down and was happy that tonight was their celebration night since it was the last night of the year. Both of them have had a great time going. Harrison memorized over 20 scripture verses and I would guess that Harper learned close to that just by us listening to the CD in the car and practicing at home. I had to laugh because when I pulled in and parked Harper refused to get out of her car seat. I can't walk, Mommy. I need you to carry me because my leg is "boken". Scraped knee/broken leg...same thing, right?

And as we were leaving, Harrison fell and tripped AGAIN and scraped open his hand and knees AGAIN. That's 3 times in 1 day between both of them. Their momma definitely passed down the clumsy gene.

8:30pm - We got home and I got them ready for bed which was not much fun tonight. 2 exhausted and cranky kids and 1 fed up mom. I finally got them down for good around 9:30 and then I cleaned up the disaster that is our house. I don't understand how it gets like that so fast. I feel like I am constantly cleaning and picking up. I'm finishing up this post and then I'm going to get ready for bed and wait for the hubster to get home. I'm definitely ready for his schedule to get back to normal.


Jocelyn said...

I'm loving this little series of yours... I need to copy the idea soon!

Tienna said...

I know I haven't commented on your other posts this week, but I want you to know that I ADORE these posts!! All of your posts are funny and sweet and make me feel closer to you guys, but really getting a glimpse into your day to day is the best!! I'm sure other long-distance friends and family feel the same way.

Oh and thanks for keeping it so "real". ;) As much as we all think we would want "perfectly behaved" kiddo's, seeing yours with their sweetness and stubborness and crankiness and HUGE personalities just makes my heart happy. And makes me really excited for our sweet, still-gestating baby girl. :) Love you, Boyd family!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...