A Week in the Life {Tuesday}

6:15am - I woke up to a loud thud followed by Harper wailing. She fell out of our bed and landed on her head apparently. I don't know if she came into our bed earlier in the night and then rolled out while she was asleep or if she had just woken up and come in there and fell out when she was trying to climb in. Either way, not a pleasant way to start the day. She had a bump on her head but was otherwise fine. After calming her down I got up and realized Harrison actually stayed in his bed! He ends up sleepwalking into our bed just about every night and it makes for terrible sleep. He got up twice last night while I was up folding laundry but didn't get back up after I put him back in there around 2am. Which, yes, is what time I finally went to bed. Not my smartest move.

7am - Harrison was up for the day. After medicine I fixed breakfast and packed their lunches that I put off last night. I use the term "fixed" very loosely because today it was just a couple of frozen waffles. At least they eat the whole wheat ones and don't even know that you are supposed to put syrup on them? Makes them somewhat healthy, right? Or at least that's what I tell myself when we are too rushed for a hot cooked breakfast. :) Then it was time to get dressed, make beds, brush teeth, and fix hair. Oh, and I can't forget: accessorize. Harper got 3 adorable necklaces for her birthday from my mom and she spent a good 5 minutes going back and forth trying to decide which one she wanted to wear. And of course it had to coordinate with her outfit. Because even the almost 3-year olds have fashion sense around this house.

9am - I dropped the kiddies off at school. Every morning we follow the same routine:


 They race me to the building and then "hide" and jump out and scare me when I come around the corner. All of these pictures are really blurry because they were wired and moving constantly. They were excited to go to school today. Harper couldn't wait to show off her new necklace. She asked me to take this next picture of her and it was so cute how she was posing like a little model. Harrison was having a conversation with Pizza Hut while I dropped his sister off. I overheard him ordering "200 pizzas and 200 cinnamon breads with extra sugar."


9:30am - I got back home and sat down to eat my breakfast. I opted for a breakfast taco and it was pretty tasty. I threw in my last load of laundry, responded to a couple of emails, paid some bills, worked on some financial stuff for the business, ran by the post office to mail a package, went to visit a friend to meet her new baby and drop off a gift, went to the grocery store, came back home and unloaded the groceries, and heated up some lunch. Whew! I am very productive without rugrats under my feet. Lunch today was leftover chicken stir fry with peppers and pineapple that I made over the weekend. Yum yum yum. I am one of those weird people that loves leftovers sometimes more than when they are originally cooked.


2pm- Arrived in the carpool line to pick up the kids. Today they did great! They both climbed right into the car and into their seats with no fuss at all (not usually the case, unfortunately). We came home and walked in to find this:


Sydney was up to her usual shenanigans again. She got into their backpack and raided the snacks out of it. It was my doctor appointment bribery stash from yesterday so she got the good stuff. Usually I would be pretty pissed that she did this but today it was almost a relief to see her back in action again. She hasn't been feeling very well lately. She's 13 and has terrible arthritis, and lately she hasn't been acting like herself at all. Not eating well (SO not like her), having a really hard time getting up and around, and even having some vomiting and diarrhea. It's a hard balance between upping the aspirin for her pain but then turning around and having it hurt her tummy. I've been having that dreadful feeling that we don't have much time left with her so to walk in and find an unzipped backpack and trail of ripped up packaging actually put a smile on my face.

We spent most of the afternoon outside. I had a lot of yard work to do and while I worked on weeding and spraying the flower beds the kids rode around in their monster truck. Harrison dug out his old t-ball helmet and insisted on wearing it. Safety first, Mom!



Harrison came across a dying june bug and felt some compassion for it. He told me he was going to adopt it and take really good care of it. He named it "Buggy" and played with that thing for a good hour. Mom, it hasn't really learned how to walk yet but I know it will. Right now it just keeps sleeping all the time. Harper, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with Buggy. That girl has a pretty nasty fear of june bugs. Spiders don't bother her at all but she will freak out over a june bug.


We came back inside when Harper got a big splinter in her hand. MELT. DOWN. She wouldn't let me touch it and kept telling me she just needed a bandaid. I kept telling her it would feel better immediately once I pull it out.

Me: Harper, don't you trust Mommy? I promise it won't hurt. Just trust me; it's Mommy's job to take care of your owies.
Harper: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  I. DON'T. TRUST. YOU!!!!! :insert screams of bloody murder::

6pm - I cooked dinner while the kids played drove me crazy until the point of me screaming to GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN OR ELSE!!! What is it with kids trying to be all up under your feet while you're cooking? So I turned on the tv and let them zone out for 30 minutes. I limit their tv time but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. It's amazing how quickly a little Berenstein Bears action can transform the atmosphere in your house. Peace was restored.

We had baked chicken, green beans, salad, and fettuccine for dinner. Can you tell the kids set the table themselves? Ha! They volunteered and I was proud of their enthusiasm. I was also proud of how well they ate. Harrison actually ate his salad first!! And there were zero complaints about the meal which would have been unheard of before the last couple of weeks. So refreshing!! 
jazz hands!

Rick had an all-afternoon meeting with a new customer so we missed him at dinner again tonight. He came home for a little bit after dinner but just left again to go lock up the shop since a contract employee is up there working late. I hate weeks like this where he has to work himself to death. He's long gone before we're up in the morning so we only see him in the evenings, so when he has to work late it really sucks. I miss him, the kids miss him, and I know he misses us and feels guilty and I hate that. It's gotten so much better this year but there are some weeks where it is still inevitable given the industry he's in and plus just the nature of being self-employed. I feel like we are finally getting close to getting over that hump where we are starting to see the prospect of balance and lower stress in the near future.

I had to share this video I took of Harrison tonight. He saw the paper towels I bought at the grocery store today and had an opinion on Bounty vs. Sparkle. Oh, the influence of commercials on impressionable minds.



7:30pm - Harper refused to pick up toys again tonight so it was bedtime routine time for her.

8:30pm - Harrison stayed up to see his dad and watch some baseball with him. But he was exhausted and in The Zone and threw a big fit when it was time for him to go to bed. But I have a broken arm so I NEED to sleep in your bed!!!!! Nice try, buddy, nice try.

10pm - I just got done cleaning up the kitchen and now I'm going to finish this post up and work on my bible study. Nothing like a little procrastination!

Tuesday 2013
Tuesday 2011

Comments

Popular Posts