3:00 a.m. - Harper woke up crying. After a 15 minute nursing session we both went back to sleep.

6:00 a.m. - Officially up for the day. ::yawwwwn:: I tried to squeeze in a snuggle session with Harper but an explosive poopy diaper ended that plan very quickly. Instead I jumped up and administered damage control, which included baths for us both and the stripping down and washing of my sheets. Who doesn't like to start their day off like that? Ha!

7:00 a.m. - I nursed Harper and then got her dressed. Harrison got up and I changed his diaper and got him dressed. He argued with me over what clothes he wanted to wear (he is very opinionated about his wardrobe!) and we compromised on a totally-mismatching-but-at-least-weather-appropriate outfit. I love my little stinker and his independent spirit.

8:00 a.m. - Breakfast time. This morning it's just apple cinnamon waffles out of the toaster and some blackberries; no time for cooking. While Harrison ate I made and packed his lunch and got his backpack, Harper's diaper bag, and my bag all ready to go. I counted and it took 5 trips in all to the car to get the strollers switched out and bags and people loaded up. It felt like a 2 1/2 hour mad dash to get us all out of the house but we made it out the door on time!

8:45 a.m. - Time for Pee Wee School! He loves school and has a ball when he's there. At the beginning of the year I signed up to be one of the room moms (even though I swore to myself I wouldn't) and there is a meeting on the second Tuesday of every month, so today I stayed for that. We discussed the fall feast next week. The room moms are in charge of doing a craft and so I suggested these super cute cupcakes-in-ice-cream-cones that I found via Pinterest:


10:00 a.m. - Went straight from PWS to Harper's pediatrician for her 6-month well exam. I nursed her in the car and changed her diaper before we went in. Her doctor is a little concerned with her growth -- her head circumference is growing at more rapid rate than her other measurements and he wants to have an ultrasound done to rule out any fluid or mass. He's not worried but just wants to rule out any issues and I 100% agree with that strategy. I don't think you could ever have too much peace of mind when it comes to your kids. Now if I can just keep myself from worrying about it until her appointment on Tuesday that would be great. Here are her measurements: 16 lbs, 15.8oz (75th %) ; 25 1/2 inches (20th %), and 45cm head circumference (95th %). She was all smiles...poor girl had no idea she was about to be stabbed in each leg!

11:45 a.m. - Got back to the house and had about 45 minutes to change out of my pukey clothes, freshen up, and make a couple of phone calls. I also had to feed Harper a little earlier than usual because I had a few errands I needed to run before it was time to pick up Harrison. Another Explosive Diaper Situation occurred right before we left so I had to change her and treat her clothes and changing pad and throw a load of laundry in. I'm just glad she did it before I put her in her car seat! I packed us back up and left to go by the post office and the bank. We got our errands done and headed to the carpool lane to wait for Bubs.

2:00 p.m. - Here comes Harrison! I decided to treat him to his favorite indulgence (okay, maybe not his favorite but the only one I let him have in the car). We stopped by Sonic for their happy hour and I ordered me a vanilla coke and got Harrison a very exciting cup of ice. Ha! He loved it though...I think his favorite part is when I roll down his window and he feels like quite the big boy.

2:45 p.m. - We finally get home and I wondered why I even bother to go out of my way and do little things for The Toddler when in the end it results in a giant tantrum every. single. time. He ate all his ice a threw a fit that it was all gone...sheesh. When do they start being thankful for the things we do for them? 18? It didn't help that poor Harper screamed the entire way home either. Needless to say, they both were immediately put down for naps when we got home! Sometimes the stress makes me want to pull my hair out but I am slowly learning to have more patience (whether I want to or not, ha!) On that topic, after we got home I noticed Sydney acting weird and I thought it was because of the thunder...and then I found it. Somebody, who shall remain nameless, left a diaper in the bathroom trash can even though I am always reminding this anonymous person not to do this because this anonymous person's dog-who-can-do-no-wrong likes to shred them. Awesome! Another mess to clean up! I don't have enough of those. GRRR! (If you can't tell, I was possibly a tad grouchy at this point)

3:00 p.m. - Harper fussed but I'm trying to take her doctor's advice to let her cry it out more. Why am I so bad at this???? I can't stand the sick feeling I get in my stomach when my babies cry. And that, my friends, is why I have a giant SUCKER stamped across my forehead. I used their "nap" time to finally eat something and change out the laundry and look through Harrison's backpack to see how his day was. I love how every day the "didn't feel like resting" box is checked...that describes my boy to a T. It works to my advantage though. When he doesn't nap at school (which is always) he will take a long nap once we get home. I just don't know what I'm going to do when he figures out how to climb out of his crib :-O

3:30 p.m. - Both kids are officially asleep! Instead of cleaning like I should have been doing, I elected to instead sit on the couch and play on my phone and computer. I have officially joined the dark side and now have a smart phone (the new iphone 4s to be exact) and I LOVE it! I can now look at fb or pinterest or even blog or upload pictures and videos to youtube at the touch of a button. I think my favorite feature is the voice command. I can speak my texts and emails and it types it out for me. SO practical because I rarely have two free hands...and plus it makes me feel all fancy shmancy sophisticated like I'm dictating a letter or something. ;)

4:00 p.m. - Harper's up already and I put her in the jumperoo while I folded some laundry, unloaded the dishwasher, and swept the floors. I got us both redressed again and entertained the idea of going to the Tae Bo class at the Y and packed our bags accordingly. It wasn't long before Harrison was up, and BOY was he in a mood! (wonder who he gets that from) It was at that point that I decided we were DEFINITELY going to the Y. Ha!

5:15 p.m. - Harper was in her car seat ready to go but then I opened up the garage to see that it looked like it was going to pour down rain at any time. I thought about taking my chances but decided I'd better not. (And no, not just because I hate exercise :)) Glad I changed our plans because sure enough, the downpour came about 5 minutes later. So instead of the gym we hung out in the play room and Harper laughed and laughed at Harrison. Nothing warms my heart more than seeing them interact. Glad for the rain and for the change of plans!

6:00 p.m. - Time to cook dinner. Harrison loves to be my little helper in the kitchen. I cut up veggies ("apples") and he counts them (he only knows how to count to 2 so it's "one, two, one, two... :)) and puts them in a cup for me. Tonight I made chicken stir fry and I have to say that it was pretty tasty. Harper was tired and fussy at this point so I nursed her and ate at the same time. Felt a little strange but since nobody else was at the table with us I figured why let my food get cold. After we all ate I fed Harper some carrots and then it was straight to the bath with her.

7:00 p.m. - Harper is clean, but I am not. In case you didn't know, reflux is even more fun once you introduce solid foods. The dogs think so, at least.

7:15 p.m. - It was definitely a two-bath kind of day for me so I figured I'd multitask and let Harrison take a bubble bath in our tub while I was in the shower and could keep an eye on him. It was working out great until halfway through and I heard a little voice say, "uh-oh, poo poo, uh-oh." Those are words that are usually not very good to hear together. Indeed, I was too late and there was a floater in tub. I had to get out mid-shower to deal with the Poop Situation. Then Harrison joined me in the shower so I could get us both clean.

8:30 p.m. - The kids are both down for the night and I am beat. I still have the kitchen to clean and the house to pick up but right now I am sitting in bed playing on the computer. Rick is working late again tonight and nights where it's just me and the kids it makes for such a long day and I feel like I got run over by a truck. I seriously don't know how single parents do this...I definitely have the utmost respect for them!

There is no doubt that these are some of the most exhausting days of my life both mentally and physically. But they are also days that I wouldn't trade for the world. It just takes one hug or one laugh and I realize how blessed I am to be their mommy.

Good night!

Total times I was spit up on: I lost count count
Total number of Poo Disasters: 3
Total times a toddler tricked me into thinking he was giving me a hug only to find out he was really just wiping his snot on my shoulder: 2
Total number of wardrobe changes between us all: 4
Total number of baths/showers for the three of us: 5 1/2
Total loads of laundry washed (but still waiting to be put away): 3


Jocelyn said…
I love, love, LOVE the details, honesty and humor in these post. I also enjoy how you talk about (and record!) Harrison's temper tantrums. I seriously want my husband to read this post just so I can say, "Look! Eli is normal, and other kids his age do the same thing! It's ok and we will will all survive the Terrible Twos (which arrived early at our house too).

Popular Posts