Cumin-spiced Chicken

I've been feeling a little bored with our meals lately. It seems like I make the same few things over and over, so in an attempt to get out of my cooking rut I've been trying out some new recipes. I found a great website (http://www.cookinglight.com/) that has a pretty good variety of quick and healthy meal ideas. Quick and healthy is right up my alley these days because I'm definitely crunched for time and I also need to get better at watching what we eat. Now that Harrison is eating more table food I'm trying to get more disciplined with our meals so I can {hopefully} establish healthy eating habits in him from the beginning.

Anyway, the website I mentioned has a great section of healthy meals with 5 ingredients or less. I've tried out several of them and they have all been winners so far. I figured I'd start sharing some of them in case anybody else feels like their menus could use a little more variety as well.

Cumin-spiced Chicken (with chili-lime corn on the cob):

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts
3/4 tsp ground cumin, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (10 oz) of Rotel, undrained
3/4 C shredded Mexican blend cheese (reduced fat)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional, in my opinion)





Preparation:

1. Heat skillet over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon cumin and salt; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.

2. Add 1/4 teaspoon cumin and tomatoes to pan; cook 1 minute. Return chicken to pan; spoon tomato mixture evenly over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with cheese; cover 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with cilantro.





My Mom and Tim introduced me to Texmati rice and I love it! It's a great multigrain blend and is actually grown here in Texas. Unfortunately, I'm not usually a fan of many "grain" foods (just give me my white bread, please!), but this has really good texture and flavor and I don't feel the need to smother it in butter and salt.




The chili-lime rub for the corn on the cob is really tasty, too. It's just 2 Tbsp of melted butter, 1/2 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp of grated lime rind, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp of pepper.

All in all this was a super easy meal and pretty healthy without compromising any flavor. Will definitely be adding it in to the rotation.

Nutritional Info (Chicken):

Calories:253 (20% from fat)
Fat:6g (sat 2.9g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.5g)
Protein:45.9g
Carbohydrate:2.7g
Fiber:0.9g
Cholesterol:106mg
Iron:1.6mg
Sodium:693mg
Calcium:188mg

Comments

Popular Posts