I've seen several "a week in the life" series floating around Bloggyland and I wanted to jump on the bandwagon. I often feel like I'm set on autopilot just trying to simply survive the day, but I know that one day I will think back to this crazy time in our lives with great fondness. And I bet I'll actually miss the insanity. So I figured I'd document a little snippet of our weekly grind so I will remember what life was like with two under two.

::cue the Darius Rucker song and let the tears begin::
I'm sure this will be pretty boring for just about everybody besides Future Nostalgic Me, but it's my blog so I'm going to do it anyway. :)
3:30 a.m. - Harper woke up crying. I nursed her back to sleep and then woke up Rick since it was time for him to get up anyway. (my poor honey gets up crazy early every day -- he is a busy man)
6:30 a.m. - Harper and I are officially up for the day. I fed her and we snuggled and played for a little while before I got up to get in the shower before Harrison wakes up.
7:30 a.m. - My mission to shower before the rise of The Toddler failed, and since he cannot be trusted with free reign of the house for 15 unsupervised minutes, into the shower he came. He loves to take showers with me...I, however, would much rather prefer 15 minutes of alone time without having to keep him from pouring out shampoo or trying to use my razor.
8:00 a.m. - I changed diapers and got the kids dressed and then started breakfast. Harrison colored on his paper. And on the table, as I would later find out. Harper had a good time bouncing in her jumperoo.
9:00 a.m. - I cleaned up the kitchen and ran the dishwasher. Next it was time for Sesame Street so I could put up a load of laundry and get dressed. I fed Harper again and she fell asleep in my arms. She stayed asleep all of five minutes until I tried to put her down, and then she was wide-eyed and not having it. So she hung out with me in the bathroom while I dried my hair and got ready.
10:30 a.m. - Discussed business decisions with The Hubster and then got an unexpected treat: he was taking care of a few things in our area and was able to swing by the house! We are in the process of moving the company closer and I SO hope this can someday become more of a regular thing because it totally made my day! I needed to run a few errands and he came along with us which made life so much easier -- it's amazing how much faster you can get in and out of places without having to load and unload two kids in and out of the car.
12:00 p.m. - Since we were running errands, we decided to stop for burgers for lunch. I definitely enjoyed getting out of the house -- I think all of us did.
1:30 p.m. - The Toddler got three m&m's...because he went #1 and #2 on the potty. Woo hoo! Yay for progress and steps toward only having one in diapers.
1:45 p.m. - Time for Harrison's nap. He was pretty tired today and didn't fight me too much. Then it was time for Harper to eat again. She was also very tired and was fast asleep 15 minutes later. Which means that BOTH KIDS NAPPED AT THE SAME TIME! This doesn't happen very often so I am always so grateful when it does.
2:00 p.m. - During naptimes I balanced our bank registers and paid a few bills online. I also looked up and cashed in our reward points on our credit card and we had more than I thought. Which means that we will have some guilt-free spending money for the kids' Christmas gifts this year. Shaping up to be a great day! (If you don't already, I highly recommend using a credit card for all your purchases and then just paying it off every month -- we have earned a lot of cash doing this over the last few years with zero cost)
3:00 p.m. - Harper is up. She just doesn't seem to want much sleep these days. She averages a 30 min. nap in the morning (which she didn't do today) and maybe an hour in the afternoon and that's it. And she's waking up at night...not sure what is going on. We hung out and played on the floor and then she didn't want to do anything besides be held, so I held her while I worked on getting Harrison's birthday party invitations ready to be mailed out. I managed to get 2 in their envelopes before deciding this isn't a one-handed project. ha! She loves sitting in my lap and looking at herself with the camera on my phone...she actually reached out and took this picture herself:

3:30 p.m. - I was getting a little frustrated that I wasn't getting as much done around the house as I wanted to while Harrison was still asleep. But then I quickly re-evaluated my priorities and gave all my attention to the little girl who was demanding it. Chores will always be there but the moments I get to spend with Harper while she's a baby are running out. I really have to remind myself of that every day. It's hard to feel like every minute of the day is spent constantly taking care of somebody else but I know there will be a day where they won't need me anymore. So instead of getting annoyed that she wouldn't let me put her down I turned on some music and we danced. Dancing with my babies is probably one of my favorite things ever. 

4:00 p.m. - Time to feed Harper again and Harrison is up from his nap. I spend the next hour trying to get us all changed and packed and ready to leave the house. There may or may not have been an epic temper tantrum over goldfish versus animal crackers and a little boy who hit his mama across the face. I guarantee you it wasn't pretty.

5:00 p.m. - The three of us make our grand re-appearance at the YMCA. We haven't been here in over a month - yikes. But I've had sick kids so it's not entirely my fault ;)  I didn't have a chance to actually work out but I did get caught up on my Bible study and updated my planner. I'll take mental health over physical any day!

6:30 p.m. - Rick had to work late tonight so I didn't bother cooking. We had leftover pot roast from last night so it worked out well. I made my classic roast beef sandwich (roast, pork & beans, grated cheddar, and ruffles with white toast...yes, it may sound totally weird but it is DELISH!) while Harrison opted for a teeny tiny amount of roast and a handful of cheese. He refused to touch his carrots but threw a fit when he saw me feeding Harper. I let him try a bite and he loved it. And she was guessed it...carrots. Go figure!

7:30 p.m. - It's getting late and the kids are melting down because they haven't adjusted to the time change. The evenings are absolutely the most stressful part of my day. It's definitely a lot of work getting everybody fed and bathed and ready for bed.

8:00 p.m. - Harrison is a train wreck by this point and I had to physically hold him down just to brush his teeth. Definitely time for bed for this little man. He fights night-night every time even though he's completely exhausted. We said our prayers and I sang his bedtime song (Jesus Loves Me) and into the crib he went.

8:15 p.m. - Time to feed Harper again. She fell asleep and I put her down. This is the first time since getting home where I feel like I can think straight...but there's no time for thinking about anything because this is that state of my house:

9:30 p.m. - After cleaning up the kitchen and the house I finally sat down to finish addressing Harrison's invitations.

10:30 p.m. - Rick called to let me know he's finally on his way home. I can't even think about sleeping until he gets home, so here I am writing this post. I also had to sneak in a little Pinterest browsing of course ;)  Harper woke up and I gave her her last feed of the day. I went in to check on Harrison and the little stinker was STILL AWAKE! He doesn't cry but it just takes that boy a long time to decompress.

11:45 - Rick just got home and it's time to get ready for bed. Good night!

Total number of diapers changed: 11
Total nursing sessions: 7
Total timeouts given: 4
Total loads of laundry done: 1
Total glasses of wine consumed: 0


Christy said…
3:30 pm is my favorite. I need to remind myself of that as well :)
Tracye said…
Sounds a lot like my day... except mine started with Cavan telling me, "You have to clean my poop off."

Apparently he pooped in his pull-up, and took it off, but didn't use any wipies. No, he left that one for me. Except that he played (and sat!) all over his room. So I got to clean it off multiple toys and surfaces. And then had to find the missing poop, since it wasn't tucked safely in his diaper.

Because I'm not puking enough on a daily/hourly basis already. I guess he thought I needed a little more help in that department.

Ahhhhhh, the joys we experience on a daily basis.

And you totally should have consumed some wine. If not for you, then for ME!
Tienna said…
Ok Tracye's response literally had me cringing while totally laughing out loud at the same time. Wow.

I love that you shared this since I'm so far away and have no clue what a day in the life of my favorite family is like. :)
Kelsey said…
Thank you, Tracye! You have just given me the PERFECT excuse to drink wine at home by myself at night without feeling bad about it. It's not for me; it's for you! :) Is it too early to start now? hehe.
Tracye said…
Forgot to mention: that pot roast sandwich? Dis. Gus. Ting.

I have enough trouble looking at/thinking about/smelling meat lately, so, thanks, Kels.

I don't think I'll be able to eat pot roast again, ever.

Tracye said…
Forgot to mention: that pot roast sandwich? Dis. Gus. Ting.

I have enough trouble looking at/thinking about/smelling meat lately, so, thanks, Kels.

I don't think I'll be able to eat pot roast again, ever.

Tracye said…
Forgot to mention: that pot roast sandwich? Dis. Gus. Ting.

I have enough trouble looking at/thinking about/smelling meat lately, so, thanks, Kels.

I don't think I'll be able to eat pot roast again, ever.

Kelsey said…
Oh Tienna, your days of poop stories are coming, trust me! :)

And Trayce, you are totally wrong about the sandwich. It was AH. MAY. ZING. Do you remember when Ross loses it on his coworker when he realizes his Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich was stolen? Yeah, THAT amazing. But I'm sorry you are feeling so sick. I remember the not-being-able-to-even-think-about-meat phase. Totally sucks :( Hang in there!
Jocelyn said…
Wow... what a day!

Yay for Harrison using the potty (especially #2!). And we do the same thing with using our Discover Card like most people use a debit card... we pay it off in full every month, and I bet we easily earn $400+ a year in free money.

Popular Posts