A snow day...without the snow.

Some of my very favorite childhood memories were when my mom would wake me up for school and tell me to go look out the front door. I would stumble to the living room and through my sleepy eyes I would see the most spectacular thing a girl could wish for: a thick layer of gorgeous snow covering everything in sight! It meant staying home and playing in the yard and building snowmen and sledding down hills and of course, best of all: NO SCHOOL. Score!

Obviously I didn't grow up in south Texas.

Since moving here, it has only snowed a handful of times and only stuck to the ground once. When there is even a slight chance of a winter storm (or as the local media has been reporting: BREAKING NEWS: ARCTIC BLAST! BRACE YOURSELVES, HOUSTONIANS, BECAUSE WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!) people tend to get themselves into a little bit of a frenzy. Many businesses and schools have already shut down and not one single drop of precipitation has fallen out of the sky. Grocery stores are a nightmare. It's kind of hilarious.

Well, it was kind of hilarious. Up until our power went out yesterday for the majority of the morning. I woke up confused, because there wasn't any snow or rain falling. So why on earth did we have no electricity? I thought maybe it was because of the wind, but nope. Apparently the "rolling blackouts" were an intentional effort to conserve energy in preparation for the storm to come and for those in north Dallas who had already been hit. Wow. How nice of me to give away my electricity so selflessly. Ha!

I'm not going to lie -- I was NOT a happy camper. I was actually battling a stomach virus (round 3 in this pregnancy, for those of you keeping count) and dealing with feeling like death while having to take care of Harrison (he didn't seem to care that Momma was sick) all with no electricity was definitely not an easy feat. I had forgotten just how dependent I am on power (Embarrassingly enough, I actually tried to turn on the TV to check the news about the power outage...I'm just going to blame that one on pregnant brain, ha!). I did feel a twinge of relief that I couldn't cook anything for breakfast since I couldn't even stomach the thought of cooking anything for breakfast. But then I realized I couldn't even pop a Eggo into the toaster. So Harrison got what he dreams of for every meal:  A couple of cereal bars, some goldfish, and a bunch of crackers...all while he roamed free dropping his crumbs throughout the house. He was in heaven (and so was Sydney). Of course I just blamed it on the power outage and not at all on my inability to take proper care of my child. Mommy guilt eradicated! :) Luckily, Rick was also dealing with no electricity at work and was able to come home to rescue me. I didn't leave the couch for the rest of the day. SO glad to say I'm feeling a million times better now!

Today Harrison and I are just hanging out at the house and enjoying the cold, snuggly weather. I do have to admit that I'm pretty excited at the prospect of snow. Harrison has never experienced it and I think he would have a great time chunking some snowballs. There's a chance for sleet and snow this afternoon and an even better chance tomorrow morning, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Pretty crazy that it was 80 degrees one day and 30 degrees the next. Here are a few bunch of pictures of our trip to the park on Monday. Shorts and sandals in January? Only in Texas.






Look at how fast I can run!
 



Sorry, Mommy. I can't stay.


I have much more important things to do.



Like hit the slides...






And play with rocks...



And my VERY favorite -- swinging!





 





Comments

Jocelyn said…
Gotta love Texas weather! I really do hope it snows tomorrow -- I've already mentally prepared to NOT work on Friday, and I only need one flake of snow to fall to justify this decision.

Popular Posts