Sneaky, sneaky...

Bags packed? Check.

Car loaded? Check.

Pets taken care of? Check.

Clueless husband? Check!

It's Saturday morning (and I've been awake far too early for a Saturday morning) and I'm about to surprise Rick with a trip to Austin for his birthday. I had my doubts on whether or not I could pull this off, but it's only 30 minutes until go-time so I think it's safe to say that it was a success!

It took me ALL day to strategically pack everything and do it in a way that he wouldn't notice things missing, and then to hide the luggage so he wouldn't see it. My mom is coming over to pick up the dogs for the weekend, so that's taken care of as well (thanks, Mom!). I got up at 3:30 (and this time I was actually grateful for my little baby alarm clock, ha) to load up the car. I'm planning on getting him out of the house by suggesting we go to a few yard sales and then to breakfast. I'll drive, and when I start heading up the freeway  I think he's going to be a little confused. Then I'll give him a birthday gift which has a tourist book of the Austin area and our itenirary. Hope he likes surprises!

It hasn't been easy to pull off, let me tell you. I was worried that somebody would accidentally spill the beans (myself included). Then there was a major crisis yesterday afternoon when he told me he was going to work Monday instead of taking it off. He didn't think it was a big deal since we don't have any plans, but my temper tantrum and subsequent meltdown informed him otherwise. Without boring you with too many details, I'm happy to say that the crisis has been averted and Rick thinks that I am taking him somewhere Monday in Houston and that this weekend is just a typical one filled with car inspections, lawn duty, a friends' BBQ, and church. In fact, I feel kind of bad because I had to go behind his back and email our campus pastor to cancel the last minute plans Rick had made with him to help set up on Sunday so he wouldn't think Rick just left him hanging. I have to say that my brain is a little fried from all of this scheming!

Looking forward to our little mini-vacation! Hopefully Harrison will do well and it will be a fun weekend that turns into some great family memories. Wish us luck!

Comments

Popular Posts