Promotion

I've experienced a major life change this week. A huge decision was made, and it is one that fills my heart with joy but also fills my tummy with butterflies. I relentlessly sorted through all of the pros and cons until my head nearly spun off my tired body, and after much deliberation and going back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth) and feeling the enormous pressure to make the very best decision, we did just that. Because when you look at this silly face, the choice is pretty darn obvious:




This week I put my career on hold to be a full-time momma to my little boy. After holding down a job (and sometimes 2) consistently since I was 15 years old (12, if you count babysitting), I am now entering into the unchartered territory of unemployment. It was a decision that came with a lot of stress and anxiety, because let's face it, does cutting your income in half ever seem like the logical thing to do (and what's this I hear about some sort of recession? Ha.)? And then there are also the fears of killing my career dead in its tracks and losing my identity (and sanity) to the domestic monotony of diapers, bottles, cooking, cleaning, blah, blah, blah, boring, boring, boring. Am I going to enjoy this new lifestyle? Am I even going to be successful at this new lifestyle? Anybody who knows me knows that I am on the complete opposite spectrum of Ms. Stewart.

Rick and I have considered all of these factors hundreds of times and keep coming to the same conclusion. Will we be making some huge sacrifices? Oh yeah, definitely. Will adjusting to our new lifestyle be difficult? Yes, at times. Will the hours be longer and the work sometimes harder? I'm sure. But is it worth it? Absolutely. Because while I can always make more money in the future, these fleeting moments with my baby I will never get back.

So while my new job will demand many more hours of hard and often times thankless work, I am incredibly blessed to have this opportunity. And even though I am losing my title, salary, and benefits in exchange for a full-time mom status, I without a doubt consider this change quite the promotion.

Comments

Rick said…
I couldn't agree more. I know that it would be my responsibility to drop the little guy off (My commute is a lot shorter)and I am not sure that I could do it. I would end up driving around the block and end up calling into work. I too am a sucker for the smiling child. Love ya hon.
Anonymous said…
it will be a big change for both of you....it is the right one...they are only little for a second...they grow up so fast and no one takes as good of care of them as you will...enjoy this time and things will change again in what will seem as no time... love ya mil
Unknown said…
I remember my first day back at work after Christian was born. I cried the whole day. Well, until lunch anyway, since I only worked half-days for a couple months. It was awful. I missed so much of her babyhood by working.

I'm so glad you don't have to go through that.
Anonymous said…
A decision you will never regret! Those first two years of watching Joel grow were some of the very best moments of my life that I wouldn't have missed for a million dollars!!! I love you girl and best of luck with all that spit up!!!
Anonymous said…
Agreed!! I am so happy for you, Rick and Harrison. I admire and support your choice. Give my nephew a huge kiss for me!

Latrice
Anonymous said…
You made the right choice! Harrison is perfect!

Uncle Jeff

Popular Posts