#10 - Goals for the Future

Goals.

Eh.

I used to be quite the goal maker. But if I've learned anything over the last few years I've learned that plans can fly right out of the window. I planned to go to college. Check! I planned to have a fancy schmancy career full of business suits and corporate ladder climbing and dollar signs. Well, I do have a storage tub full of business suits up in the attic. But the dollar signs....not so much. I planned to get pregnant right away, and while I did eventually get pregnant it was after many months of doctor appointments, negative tests, and lots and lots of prayers and tears. I planned to space my children apart...ha ha ha! We even planned to gamble with our second pregnancy when Rick took a job with no maternity coverage on the insurance. After all, everything went by the text book with Harrison, so why not just pay out of pocket for baby #2? We're pretty smart, right? Ha! Boy, there is no possible way I can express how grateful we are that his employer unexpectedly decided to rework all of the insurance plans and that the new policy covered pregnancy. My plans have flown out the window. My career consists of wiping tushies and doing endless laundry, all for zero pay. My kiddos aren't even a year and a half apart. My quarter-million dollar baby was graciously covered by insurance. If I've learned anything over the last few years, it's that God's plan is infinitely better than any plan we could conceive for ourselves!

Given my accuracy rate at planning out the future, I realize I need to be far more flexible in this arena. I've learned to let go some and to really try to put my complete faith in God to lead us down our journey. We have some pretty big stuff going on that I'm not really ready to mention on here yet, but it's definitely testing my trust in the Lord and his plans for us and I am trying to become better at not worrying myself to death. My hubby is great at that. I, the neurotic control freak, am still a work in progress.

I will say that having two young children has helped me come to terms with giving up some of that control (since I pretty much had no choice to give it up, ha!). My focus has shifted and my goals have become much more short-term in nature. You know, like aim to get in a shower. Plan to start packing up at least two hours before leaving the house. Strive to simply stay afloat at times. But mainly, not worry so much about the tomorrows and instead relish in the moments of today.

(Wow. I'm pretty sure that the purpose of this blog post wasn't supposed to be to ramble on and on about not having goals. Oopsie.)

So anyway, all this to say that while Rick and I talk about our future and what we envision it to be, we don't really have any concrete goals at this time. We want to take the kids on a fun vacation some time in the next year or two. We of course are trying to sock what little we can away for our retirement and for their education. We even talk about having more kids down the line ::gasp:: but aren't fully decided on that matter yet. I don't really know what's in store for us, but I have a feeling it's going to be great!



Comments

Popular Posts