#4

Rick and I celebrated our fourth anniversary on Sunday. It was pretty low key, but it was just what we wanted.

After church, we went to lunch with some friends at none other than Mamacitas. Had to stick with the Mexican theme in honor of our wedding and not at all because I am overly obsessed with Mexican food and could eat it all day every day and sometimes actually come close. In fact, I cooked tacos for dinner last night and am having leftovers today for lunch and can't wait because they are just that scrumptious! Oh how I love me some Mexican food!

Right. Back to our anniversary. After lunch, my mom offered to keep Harrison so we could have a nice date. But we didn't really want a nice date. Don't get me wrong, nice dates are great and all. But an afternoon childless? We had other, far less exciting things in mind. But once again, exactly what we wanted.

We have always exchanged the traditional anniversary gifts and year four calls for flowers or fruit. So we decided to buy a flowering tree to plant in front of our breakfast room window. So off to the nursery we went. And then to several others, because we couldn't find what we were looking for.

Halfway through, I started to get pretty cranky because it was seriously the hottest, steamiest, muggiest day EVER. It actually hurt my lungs to breathe, and it's not like I'm a drama queen or anything.

See? HOT!

So we stopped for a frozen refreshment to cool us down and lift our spirits. Fruit flavored, of course! And BTW, the cherry limeade chillers are TO. DIE. FOR.


Cheers!


We finally found a tree that was perfect, and even ties in my heritage. I can't wait to see it bloom next spring!


Hope I can keep it alive long enough to see these blooms.


We started to dig, and almost cut through the cable line. Go figure.

8-1-1 who?


We had to move it over a bit, but no biggie. And then into the ground it went!

Cheese!


It's been a long time since we've been able to do yard work together. I forgot how much I enjoy playing in the dirt and mowing the grass and pulling weeds. And how good of a workout it is. The next day my muscles were so sore - so it's either a good workout or I'm just reeeally out of shape. We'll go with a good workout.

After all the romantic yard work, I went to go pick up the baby while Rick got dinner started. We grilled some steaks, corn on the cob, and sweet potatoes. And even though the tree was our anniversary gift, we had a few other little things to exchange.

Getting ready to open my towel-wrapped present from Rick. Klassy!

Have I ever mentioned how great of a husband I have? He is, really. And while he's a wonderful guy and lovely hubby and awesome dad, crafty he is not. But he definitely gets an A+ for effort!

Let me back up a little. A few days earlier he had told me that he was going to make me a gift as well. Immediately I told him that he soooo didn't have to and that our tree was our gift and that please, no, don't, really. You see, I've seen his handyman skills, and all I can say is bless his heart. He insisted, however, so I nervously awaited the results.

Saturday I came home after an afternoon out shopping with Katie, and before I even got through the front door I noticed a really awful smell, kind of like mothballs, but far worse. He assured me that it was all part of the process. I walked through the door and he had huge fans blowing and the odor was so strong it was overwhelming. Like, not-safe-to-be-in-the-house overwhelming. He assured me that the gift was outside "curing" and that the house would air out soon enough, but to be safe we should leave for a few hours. Nice.

Sunday morning he looked defeated. The project was not "curing" to his satisfaction and he was really disappointed. It was so adorable! I had no idea what to expect, and so I was really curious and anxious to finally open it. Especially when he told me it was wrapped in a wet towel for a reason, and that I should not under any circumstances make direct contact with my skin. And here it is, in all of its glory:
uh, Mom, I don't think you should be touching that.

The concept was really cool. And the fact that he went to Michaels and to Aaron Brothers for tips and advice was beyond sweet. The final product, however, was not so pretty. Not to mention, completely toxic! He attempted to make a matte for a picture frame by pouring some sort of apoxy or acrylic chemicals over what used to be BRIGHT RED flower petals. Then he was going to put a picture of us in it. However, the chemicals ate through the petals and also the black paint on the frame, and never dried all the way, either. And oh how I wish the camera could have captured the odor. It makes me dizzy and nauseous just thinking about it!

Too bad this is far too toxic to display in my house. Shucks!

Notice the once bright red, beautiful flower that now looks like rotting flesh.

We got SUCH a huge laugh out of it. Like, tears rolling down the cheeks laugh. And then he promptly removed the poisonous threat from our breathing space and threw it in the outside garbage. Where I'm sure it started eating through the trash can immediately, ha! Like I said, A+ for effort!


Smart guy had a back-up plan.

My gifts were far less exciting, and REALLY romantic, let me tell ya. But there's only so much you can do with a fruit/flower theme, especially for a guy. And besides, after 10 years together we embrace practicality. So the Hubster got a couple of packages of Fruit of the Loom undershirts and socks, several boxes of fruit flavored candy, a Sonic gift card, and a personal-sized cookie cake with a flower on it. I would have taken a picture of the cookie, but it was devoured before I had a chance. Nobody gets between Rick and his cookies!


Nothing says romantic like a bunch of underwear.


My boys

It was a great day. I still can't believe it's been four years since we were down in Mexico, saying our I dos and frolicking on the beach. I can't wait to go back!  Maybe next year. One can dream, right?




{And to my Ricky, if you even still read this boring blog of mine: Ten years ago you walked into my life and gave it meaning. Four years ago you looked into my eyes and promised me your heart forever. I am so enjoying the forever! Thank you for being such a great husband, best friend, and now daddy to our son. Somehow I manage to fall more in love with you every day, even though every day I can't imagine loving you more.}


Comments

Rick said…
I love you too. I can't believe that it's been 10 years either. Time flies when life is spent with the one person that you're meant to be with. If I had tear ducts, I would cry a little right now.

Love ya honey,
Rick
Unknown said…
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Love his idea... execution def needs improvement!

Y'all are such sweethearts!

Happy Anniversary!

Popular Posts