1 Month

Hadley turned a month old on the 3rd. Gosh, are we enjoying her!



At 1 month, she weighed 10 lbs, 8 oz. and was 22 inches long (85th percentile for both).

She's wearing size 0-3 months and in size 1 diapers. She only fit in newborn sizes for the first week or so (and some newborn clothes never fit from day 1). She's a big girl!

So, Hadley, what have you been up to this month?

You spent the majority of the month hibernating! You are definitely our sleepiest baby and slept for 20+ hours every day until right around 4 weeks when you started having more alert time. The first couple of weeks you had your days and nights mixed up. You hated the cradle in our room but would somewhat stay asleep in your crib, but I didn't feel comfortable not being in the same room with you so I slept in Harper's bed in your room and she ended up either on the couch or in bed with your dad. Definitely not ideal! I was really hoping to get you sleeping on a flat mattress since your brother and sister had a hard time transitioning from the swing to their cribs, but since you have terrible reflux like they did, you are now sleeping inclined in the rock and sleeper in our room. But that's fine with me. I'm back in my bed and we have our groove down! At 2 weeks you started sleeping soundly through the night. I have to get you up to feed you after about 6-8 hours (you don't even wake up but my body gets too uncomfortable to go longer than that) and then you will sleep for another few hours until it's time to get up to take Harrison to school. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Your siblings didn't sleep through the night until 11 months so we are very appreciative!







You are a great on-the-go, go-with-the-flow baby. I guess that's what happens when you are number 3. I was worried about how everything was going to go adding a newborn to our busy schedule but it has been a really easy adjustment for the most part. You sleep really well in your car seat/carrier. You actually are far more content when we are out and about then if we are home. Your first outing was to Olive Garden and Target when you were just a week old. I was really nervous taking you out in public, but thankfully you slept through it all. I love that now they have the car seat covers to keep germs out -- I have a lot of anxiety about exposing you to sick germs, but with 2 older siblings, staying home for 2 months just isn't practical. At 1 month you've already been to the grocery store several times, Christmas shopping, church, BSF, the pedi twice (5-day and 2-week checkups) and even to your first movie (Good Dinosaur). Not to mention taking and picking up Harrison to school every day, Harper's school twice a week, karate, and ballet. You are a trooper!




Nursing is going really well. Within 5 seconds of the nurse placing you on my chest for the first time, you knew exactly what to do. I have oversupply issues, which I think adds to your terrible reflux (it's awful!), but we are working on getting that under control. You nurse every 2-4 hours during the day and at night stretch to 6-8 hours. You would go longer at night if I didn't wake you to eat but I get too engorged. You get fussy pretty frequently in the evenings and want to cluster feed, but I'll take it in exchange for a good night's sleep. And your level of fuss is NOTHING compared to the colic Harrison and Harper had (especially Harper). You are gassy and grunt and strain a lot, but don't cry for long stretches like they did. Usually you are easily consoled if you are being held and have a pacifier.



I mentioned your reflux. Yep. Apparently I will never know what it's like to have a baby who doesn't spit up constantly! You go through roughly 8 outfits and probably 10 or 15 bibs a day and I wish I was exaggerating. It's a lot. But thankfully it doesn't bother you too much. So we just change lots of clothes and do lots of laundry and accept the fact that neither you nor whomever is holding you will go long without being christened with vomit.

 FYI, reflux ruins monthly stickers

 You had your first bath at 2 weeks when your umbilical cord fell off and loved it. Your sister was so excited. She is always so eager to help out.



You flashed your first real smile at us when you were 3 1/2 weeks old. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving and you were helping your dad and I get Harrison's new bedroom ready for his surprise reveal. You were lying on his bed and we were talking to you and saying how you look just like your big brother...and you gave us a huge smile. I love that we were both there to see it. Now the kids work at getting smiles out of you every day and it's pretty much the cutest thing ever.


You are full of expression. Your daddy and I joke that the majority of your expression is RBF...which when you're older I'll tell you what the "B" in the middle of "Resting Face" stands for :) You have the cutest little furrowed brow and while it makes you look grumpy, you are such a pleasant baby. 







You are definitely a pacifier baby like your brother was. The first time we put one in your mouth your eyes got big and you actually grabbed onto it and held it in. It's a little like crack to you.




A few of your nicknames so far have been Hadley Hoo, Haddie, and your daddy calls your Claire-Bear.



 


Hadley, your first 30 days have come and gone in a flash but we already can't imagine our family without you. You have brought us so much joy already. We are truly blessed and love you so much!






Comments

Tienna said…
I'm in tears, seeing all these sweet pictures of that precious baby girl. You truly are blessed, my friend.

Popular Posts