Twenty-ten

It has been quite a week around these parts. For starters, I turned the big 3-0 last weekend. Or as Harrison answered when asked how old his mom was going to be, "twenty-ten." I think I like his answer better. :) I'm not going to lie -- I had a little bit of a tough time with turning 30. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that my twenties are gone forever. How did that happen so fast? Sometimes it seems like I just graduated high school a couple of years ago...but then on the other hand I am definitely starting to feel my age catching up to me. But as I've had a few days to settle in to my new decade, more than anything I just feel so grateful. My twenties gave me the happiest moments of my life. I married the best guy a girl could ask for. I graduated from college and began my career. I became a mom and my career took on an entirely new meaning. My family grew and my heart continued to grow in ways I didn't know it could. I listened to my husband dream and then proudly watched him go out and make them happen. I "did life" with amazing friends and family. Oh, and one other minor detail that occurred in my twenties -- I accepted Christ and learned what it truly meant to be loved. So yeah...I may have gained a few wrinkles and gray hairs and lost some sleep and, er, elasticity, but man what a great trade. I am sad to see them go but I'm focusing on celebrating all of the good that came out of my last ten years and am excited to see what God has in store for me in my thirties.

You know what else helped me get out of my turning-30-funk? (Expect blog posts about them all soon):

My mom threw a party for me. Like, a par-tay. Believe me when I say she went all out!

My BFF since I was 10 surprised almost surprised me (my hubby is the worst secret-keeper ever, btw) by flying in for my birthday weekend.

My grandparents drove down from Oklahoma, my uncle and cousins drove down from Dallas, and Ashley and my MIL drove in from their neck of the woods. And many of my local friends booked babysitters (which is no easy task around here) all to come hang out and spend their Saturday night with me as well. They were even forced to watch a 20 minute slideshow of my awesome childhood pictures. I was completely mortified to be the center of attention like that (if you know me then you know I am pretty socially awkward, ha!) but also felt very loved and special and just thankful to get to spend my birthday with such awesome people.

Two days after Tienna left I got to sneak away for a short girls' trip to Canton with my friend Brandy. With birthday money in my possession. And no children to be responsible for. Needless to say, I had a fabulous time. 

And then of course today is Easter.

And later this week my husband is whisking me away to a beautiful sandy beach somewhere in Mexico. (!!!!!!!!!) Oddly enough, this will be the first vacation we've taken together just the two of us. To say that I am excited would be a huuuuuge understatement. We plan to park our pasty, haggard selves on a beach bed cabana and do nothing but read and nap and eat and drink fruity drinks and just be. Both of us are in need of a little decompressing and r&r and to have a couple of days to not worry about work stress or disciplining kids or cooking and cleaning and to just reconnect with each other is going to be SO refreshing!!! Can you tell I'm slightly pumped? (!!!!!!!!)

Like I said -- I've had a few reasons to snap out of my blahs. Rotating all of Kenny's beachy songs is definitely helping, too. :) 

I've been up to my neck working 6 days a week.
Wearing holes in the soles of the shoes on my feet
been dreaming of getting away since i don't know.
Ain't no better time than now...for Mexico

No shoes, no shirt, no problems
Blues, what blues? Hey I forgot 'em
The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with no bottom,
and no shoes, no shirt, no problems

Want a towel on a chair in the sand by the sea
Want to look through my shades and see you there with me.
Want to soak up life for a while
in laid back mode.
No boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code.

No shoes, no shirt, no problems
Blues, what blues? Hey I forgot 'em
The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with no bottom
and no shoes, no shirt, no problems

Comments

Popular Posts