Harper's Nursery

I mentioned that we finished up Harper's room over the weekend. I LOVE it -- it turned out exactly how I had it pictured in my mind from day one. Glad she turned out to be a girl because I had zero boy nurseries pictured in my mind. :)

Here is the view from the doorway:


I wanted a neutral color palate with soft pink and taupe accents. We my mom painted the walls a creamy beige (Sisal from Martha Stewart). Her name above the crib was an easy and inexpensive project. I painted a taupe accent rectangle on the wall ("oops" paint I found at Home Depot for $0.50!). And then I bought unfinished wooden letters, spray painted them antique white to match the crib, and then finished it out with a big frame. I found the frame on clearance at Hobby Lobby and spray painted it a soft metallic. I love the way it turned out and I think it makes a big statement for a small cost.

I knew I wanted a Jenny Lind style crib and I searched and searched everywhere for one. None of the stores were carrying them anymore for some reason (I think because the manufacturers were redesigning the dropside design). And then I lucked out big time. I found this crib for a steal on craigslist and it was exactly what I was looking for. It's chunkier than the typical Jenny Lind and it is antique white and distressed. Normally this brand retails for $600+ and I got it for $225, so I was pretty thrilled.

The chair was in Harrison's room. Hopefully Harper will actually let me rock her because her brother was never a big fan. And of course I had to add a little bling in the form of a pretty chandelier. It might be my favorite touch of the room.

Here's a closeup of the bedding:


I love the bedding. Originally I considered trying to make my own, but my mom talked me out of that. I'm so glad she did! She wanted to buy the bedding and after shopping around and not finding exactly what I was looking for, we custom ordered it from PolkaTot Designs. I was only going to get bumpers and a dust ruffle, but she talked me into getting the whole set, including the blanket and pillow on the chair. I'm so glad she did! She's one smart lady. :)

{And before I move on to the next picture, I have to add that Harrison and Harper have the best grandparents any kid could ask for. My mom and mil (and of course that includes my step-dad and fil) have both insisted on buying all kinds of goodies for Harper, just like they did (and still do) for Harrison. I feel bad because it wasn't very long ago they were helping us prepare for Harrison's arrival and I didn't expect anything at all for the second round of preparation. But they told me I was silly if I thought they weren't going to be fair with each child...I wonder if they will still want to keep the spoiling equal if I keep on popping out babies at the rate we're going? Ha! In all seriousness though, Rick & I SO appreciate how involved our parents are in our kiddos' lives. The memories a child has of and with their grandparents is such a treasure and our kids (and us, of course) are extremely blessed to have them in our lives!}

Here is the view from one side of the room:



We found the bookshelf at a great store in Rice Village. It is also an antique white distressed finish and I think the arch and the balled feet are charming for a little girl's room. I got the bird hook there, too, and just spray painted and distressed it myself. The two shelves on the right of the bookcase were in our garage sale/goodwill box -- we've had them for probably 8 or 9 years. I snagged them out of the box and, you guessed it, spray painted them an antique white to match. I still have a few more books and accessories to add but I'm not in a huge hurry because I don't want to buy stuff just to buy it -- I'm waiting for the perfect finds. The curtains are from Target and I love the pink taffeta fabric.


The dresser was a bargain. I got it off craigslist from the same place as the crib, and it was only $20! A fresh coat of pink paint and spray painted handles (thanks, Mom!) worked wonders. (I totally should have taken a before pic)


The view of the opposite side of the room:



 This vanity is special to me because it was my great-grandmother's. I had it in my room as a child and now I get to pass it down to my daughter and I love that.


I got this dress form at Hobby Lobby and....wait for it....spray painted it antique white. I wanted a tutu to put on it and so when I saw that the table decorations at my shower were tutus that Katie made, I was stoked! The table is just one of those really inexpensive mdf kits (like $8 inexpensive) and I made the tablecloth.





Here are two more fun and practical decorations. Katie made both the bow holder and the growth chart to match the colors in the room and I love them! I keep telling her she should open an Etsy shop and I think she could make some decent money at it. The growth chart I ordered for Harrison's room was $35 when I bought it a year and half ago, but now they are selling for $50+. I love these style of growth charts because they easily roll up to store forever once the kids outgrow them.



I'm pretty sure that Harper's room is my favorite in the house right now. Lately I have found myself going in there just lie on the floor and daydream about my little girl. I'm so excited to find out what she looks like and what kind of personality she's going to have. I'm hoping I'll be able to see a little of myself in her (since Harrison is the spitting image of his daddy) and that she'll have Rick's personality (since Harrison's personality is shaping up to be much more like mine). But no matter who she looks like and acts like, I have a feeling she's going to be absolutely perfect!


Comments

Unknown said…
She *is* going to be absolutely perfect.


We're praying for you. Peace and protection and rest.

Love you so much, and we're still coming to visit on Saturday... you didn't think landing yourself in the hospital was going to get you out of it, did you? ;)

Seriously, Kelsey, everything is going to be fine. No weapon formed against you will prosper.
Unknown said…
I forgot to mention... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE her nursery! You need to come decorate my house!
Tienna said…
OMG OMG OMG I love her room!!! You've outdone yourself, my love. Can't wait to see it in person.

Praying for you all the time. Tony and I (and everyone that knows me/you in Oklahoma) love you guys and know that everything will be just fine.

Love you, Sister!
Leslie Maddox said…
Love the framed name. We put letters vertically on the wall for my first son with these velcro sticker things, but it ended up being a huge pain because he loved to pull down the letters he could reach whenever he walked in the room. For my little one on the way, I may paint a canvas and put wooden letters on it and frame it to get a similar look to yours.

Popular Posts