Life Lately

It's been so long since I've blogged about our day to day life that I don't really know what all is going to end up in this post. I predict lots of randomness in store...

****

Today I am 33w6d pregnant. Which is the exact day in pregnancy that Harper was born. That kind of blows my mind a little. Her pregnancy and this one have been so complete opposite. At this point in her pregnancy, I had already been in the hospital on bed rest for 3 weeks. It was a much higher risk pregnancy than this one for sure. But this one I've been sicker than all of my pregnancies. And aside from feeling terrible and throwing up and awful heartburn, I'm also starting to get uncomfortable and not sleeping well at all -- I never got to that point with Harper. She was much more laid back in the womb compared to her sister who I'm certain is destined to be an acrobat. But when I feel like grumbling and complaining I stop myself...because I know just how important it is to get to full term. I was MISERABLE with Harrison toward the end. But after my experience with Harper I realized how much I took the last 6 weeks for granted with him. So I'm being intentional about stopping each day and thanking God for this sweet miracle we will soon be meeting and trying to savor the last few weeks I have with her inside.

We are almost done with the girls' room and her car seat and stroller and a few other goodies from my mom got here on Friday. It's definitely starting to get real! We are all still in a little bit of disbelief that we will soon be snuggling a newborn and life is about to get even more chaotic. So, so excited! Only about 5 more weeks to go!


****

This spunky girl started Pre-K this month!





It's been a big month of change. Harper started pre-K after Labor Day and it's been really weird adjusting to our new normal. She only goes 2 days a week so I still have lots of time with her, but the kids have never been apart like this before. I thought it would be harder on Harper since she's always had a built in play mate, but nope. She is happy as a lark to be getting undivided attention from her momma. Apparently she had given it a lot of thought beforehand too -- on the first day of kindergarten we weren't even out of the parking lot after dropping of Harrison when she suggested, "Mommy, I think we need to go do girly things now. How 'bout a manicure and pedicure?" Ha! I was too emotional that day, but I did treat us later on that week. ;)


Harrison, however, has really struggled with adjusting to Kindergarten. He's not a morning person, so getting up early has not been easy for him. We've had several really rough mornings of tears and frustration. One morning a teacher and I had to literally pry him out of the van screaming and crying in the car rider line. Then he broke free and ran back and climbed into the van again and we had to do it all over again. That was pretty traumatic for him and for me. And then another day last week I didn't even attempt the car rider line because I knew it was going to end the same way since he was already sobbing before we left the driveway. So Harper and I had to park and check in to the office so we could walk him back to his classroom. Lots of sad tears that morning, too. He's struggling with making new friends and experiencing the fact that not everybody is nice. I hate that he's having a hard time adjusting, but I know he will eventually.

so exhausted the first week...I've been appreciating the extra cuddles

We've been trying to cheer him up with special attention where we can. Harper and I had lunch with him one day and Rick surprised him another day as well.

He was jealous that Harper went through the lunch line...but then when she offered to share her food with him he quickly changed his tune. Haha.

So excited to show off his school's cafeteria
he loves being creepy
lunch with Dad

Rick texted me this picture...I guess he was hungry enough to brave the cafeteria lunch. Barf!!

special mom/son date after his PT appointment
****

Harper has been a great buddy and fun companion to spend my days with. It definitely feels weird to not have Bubba with us, but I'm treasuring this time with just my Harpie-Harp. The dynamic is SO different. Much calmer, ha! She is a fantastic helper and I can't wait to see her in action once the baby arrives. 


always asking to hug her sister

just the medicine I need when I'm feeling yucky...love her to pieces

She has helped a lot with her bedroom makeover
We had to get a tire fixed so we walked over to WB for an impromptu lunch date. She shared her strawberry milkshake with me...that's love.

working hard on a crossword while we waited for Vanna to be done

it definitely felt like a betrayal going to Target on Force Day without a certain little boy


she asked to take a picture with "her favorite cute little wookie" to show her brother

****

It didn't take long to succumb to back-to-school sick germs. Both kids have had fever virus junk and they have also both been passing staph back and forth. SUPER fun times. Harper got it first in her nose and it spread to her arms and torso and bottom. Poor girl; it looked miserable. We had just cleared hers up when Harrison got a few spots on his legs and face. Got his cleared up and then they both broke out again. 2 rounds of antibiotics for both, ointment applied 3x a day, lots of bandaids (and monster fits when it's time to take bandaids off...pure torture I tell you!!!) and bleach baths every week makes for one exhausted mama. This is the first time either of them have had staph infections/impetigo like this and hopefully the last. 

weekend fun at urgent care

****

We've had a lot of rain lately. Which means lots of playing in the rain. I love how Harper ran to her room to get prepared while Harrison was spontaneous and just went for it :)






We also got caught in pouring rain while at the grocery store. We waited it out for about 10 minutes but then just decided to run for it. We got completely soaked but also laughed so hard. Sometimes as an adult you forget just how fun it is to splash around in the rain.


 Her shirt says it all in these next pictures.





****


My mom took the kids to pick out upgraded bikes/scooters for her house. I about died when I went to pick them up and saw the size of the bike Harrison got. How is he this grown up?? It's still a little big for him but he can ride it like a champ.

Star Wars helmet? Check. Star Wars scooter? Check. Star Wars bike? Check. Boy obsessed with Star Wars? Check!


Little Miss picked out a new helmet and scooter, too.

Oh how I love this man.



****

This guy is getting so good at reading! He read all 64 pages of this book to me all by himself the other night. It's fun to be at this stage. My mom saved all of my books from when I was a kid so it's nostalgic to read them with my kiddos.




****

Harper and I have had fun trying out new hairstyles. She loves to look at pinterest to get ideas. We definitely save them for the days we don't have to be anywhere early in the morning though, because I'm still an amateur and it takes me a while to tame her tangles.








****

Rick got a new truck last month. It was the first time either of us has ever owned something brand new. The incentives were so good that it was the same price for a new one as it was for something pre-owned with low miles. He was in a 4-car pile up on the freeway on his way to work at the beginning of summer and his old truck got rear-ended and then shoved into the truck in front of him. It should have been totaled, especially considering it had 180k miles on it, but the insurance company opted to fix it instead. Except they didn't fix it right and soon after it also started having transmission issues, so he needed to get a new one since he uses it every day for work. 

Here she is, in all of her glory:




 And then a few weeks later in his brand-spanking-new-truck, he got rear ended again on the freeway on his way to work. I think he might have cried but he would never admit it. This time it was 3 vehicles involved but thankfully he was in the front, so the only damage is to his bumper and tailgate. As much as a headache it's been to deal with multiple insurance companies for 2 different wrecks in just 3 months, I'm just so thankful that they were only minor and he wasn't hurt! He drives so much for work and I am always anxious about that.

And...I think that's all I have energy for tonight. I'm hoping to get the blog caught up before the baby gets here, but we'll see ;)

Comments

Popular Posts