The Rest of September

Recapping the rest of last month...

****

The kids started their new school. They love it!  This is Harrison's last year before Kindergarten (cue the big, salty tears) and he's in the Kinderskills program. He's already learned so much and is thriving. He always comes home excited to tell us the sight word of the day and what he learned. Harper is in a great class, too. One of her teachers has a teenage daughter with a severe nut allergy and has been such a blessing to us. We are still learning how to navigate the waters and she is a veteran. I feel like she took me right under her wing and she's given me lots of encouragement and advice for when they get to public school. What an answered prayer to be able to drop her off and know that she is in great hands.

Harrison was sick and missed the first week of school. He had a high fever for 5 days and felt crummy, but no other symptoms. He still wanted to get in the picture with Harper and carried his backpack and lunch box all the way into their school, hoping I would change my mind about letting him go. You can tell his smile is so forced. Poor guy.


dropping the girls off

He made up for missing the first week, though. He was SO proud of himself for getting this. Before he was even in the car he was telling me all about the certificate in his backpack and couldn't wait to show me.


****

Sydney gave us quite a scare. We thought she had a stroke because all of the sudden she could hardly stand and when she did try to walk, she would immediately stumble and fall down. Her eyes were darting back and forth, her head was tilted to one side, and she wouldn't eat or drink anything. We called and made her an appointment at the vet the next day and were worried we wouldn't be coming home with her. Be glad you were not around my poor husband on this day. I felt sorry for his employees. ;)


But thankfully it turned out that she had "Old Dog Vestibular Disease" and had not had a stroke! Basically it is just extremely bad vertigo that older dogs sometimes get out of the blue. The vet told us the acute attack typically ends after a day or two and then they usually make a full recovery. She ended up having 2 acute attacks a week a part that lasted several days each. She also lost her hearing in the process. She is much more neurotic than she was before (lots of anxiety and following us around constantly) and she still has dizzy spells where she'll fall down, but she's eating and drinking regularly again.



****

The kids love to draw. Not color...draw. They are appalled when I try to give them a coloring book. How dare I cramp their creativity by giving them lines to color within. GAH, MOM.

This is a fun age for drawing. Harper is just now learning how to draw people and objects and it's hilarious. And here is a picture that Harrison drew. Lately he's been on a history kick and is infatuated with wars. We've checked out several library books and even as an adult, my eyes still glaze over reading through them. Now math, that's a different story. But he most definitely didn't get the history buff gene from me. He told me, "I drew a story of a war between England, Japan, & America. I need you to send it on everyone's Facebook."


****

We celebrated Ashley's birthday with a trip to Schlitterbahn. I thought the kids might be too young but they loved it. Harrison is scared of heights but eventually mustered up the courage to climb all the steps (after a few tries) and once he finally made it down his first slide, he was hooked! Harper, on the other hand, has no fear whatsoever and was trying to climb up on top of the rail so she had a better view of the ground below.


 ****

The kids built me this trophy and wanted me to take their picture in front of it. It was a trophy "for being the best mom in the world." Sweet, right? 


However, yesterday they built me one with only 4 pieces and told me, "here's your trophy for yelling at us when you got mad. It's really small because yelling isn't nice." Ouch!!

****

Fridays are our Family Nights. We either go out to dinner and pick a fun activity to do or we grill out in the backyard and play board games or have a movie night. This particular Friday we decided it was time for another backyard camp out.



she was actually very helpful and skilled with the hammer!

nothing better than root beer out of a glass bottle

Of course this guy serenaded us :)




So...a parenting fail? Waking up the next morning and asking Harrison what his favorite part about camping was and having him respond, "going outside the tent when you guys were all asleep and playing with the fire."  Awesome! Thankfully after further investigation it was determined that "playing" meant he was just trying to put out the embers with a water gun. But still. ::insert wide-eyed emoji::

 ****

 Harper sees me straightening my hair all the time and has been asking me to try it on her hair. Finally, one day I gave in. She loved it. I did not. I mean, she's beautiful no matter what, but oh how I love her precious curls.




She kept running in and looking at herself in the mirror with a huge smile. Then she came out of her room dressed up to dance and gave us a little performance. She is such a goober. Love her to a million billion pieces.





Comments

Popular Posts