My Second Home: A Makeover Story

I guess you wouldn't call a room within your house a "second home" since it's technically a part of your first home, but whatever. I'm going with it. Like most mommas, I spend an insane amount of time in my laundry room. It was on my bucket list last year to give it a makeover and unlike most items on my list of goals I! ACTUALLY! DID! IT! And I actually did it like, I don't know, a year ago or so, but I-totally-suck-at-blogging-these-days-and-it's-better-late-than-never. I mean, I know you are dying to hear all about my laundry room and all, so please accept my sincere apologies for not posting about it sooner. It's quite riveting as you are about to find out. :)

So, without further ado* I present to you The Room In Which The Laundry Magic Happens aka My Second Home:

Before:


View from inside the house. Blah.

Such lame, open storage.

Don't be jealous of my ratty ironing board cover.


And After:
 
 
View from inside the house

We tore out the existing shelves and replaced it with these cabinets from either Lowes or Home Depot, I don't remember at this point. We actually refurbished the shelves that we tore out to connect the two cabinets and added inexpensive trim for a more finished look. I am SO happy to have more storage...especially concealed storage! The letters are from Hobby Lobby and I just spray painted them red. I painted the walls with leftover paint from our bedroom so all in all it was a pretty inexpensive remodel.

View coming in from the garage

At last, all the bags have a place!!!!

Amazing the difference a $9 cover can make.

The basket holds dust rags and the apothecary jars hold clothespins, detergent, and oxiclean.


I already had these books (collecting dust -- oh, the irony. ha!) and I made this printable in Word. I love this scripture and when I find myself grumbling over things like endless laundry I meditate on this and it gets my attitude back in check :) If you can't read it, it says, "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you are working for the Lord rather than people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the master you are serving is Christ." Colossians 3:23-24



I wish I could say the makeover made me love doing laundry but sadly, no it has not. But it is nice to have a pretty and welcoming space that doesn't stress me out at the sight of all the clutter. This project also gave me an itch to do some other things around the house as well. I finally finished the play room and we've made a lot of other changes I'll be sharing soon next year. Stay tuned...I know you will be on the edge of your seat until then. Ha!


*Ado vs. adieu: I was very conflicted** as to which was the proper use as I've seen it written both ways. After thorough internet research I am happy to report that "ado" is in fact the correct term. You are quite welcome for this critical PSA. 

**Yes, I am a nerd.



Comments

Unknown said…
Love it! It looks awesome.
Jocelyn said…
Cute change... and thanks for the *nerd* clarification. I would have thought it was adieu. :-)

Popular Posts