Home of the Bwave


We had a pretty low key 4th of July. For the last several years the kids have done the Teddy Bear Parade that is put on by our town's historical society. Doug, aka our good friend Santa, is one of the main coordinators and it's always been a lot of fun. The kids decorate their bikes/wagons/scooters and are essentially the "parade." It's only about 3 blocks and ends at the city's big 4th of July citizen's appreciation festival. Everything is free: hotdogs, drinks, snow cones, cotton candy, face painting, balloon animals, petting zoo, pony rides, bounce houses, etc. 
 
Their Beda came this year

Here they are waiting for their turn to go by the judges' table. Harrison really wanted to win. And win 1st place, because anything less than 1st place isn't really winning according to him. He had a plan to charm the judges and belt out the national anthem. He did not lack confidence, that's for sure. But when he got up there, stage fright took over and he aborted his plan. When they started announcing the winners, he ran to the front and stood there patiently waiting to hear his name called. Sadly (to him), he didn't win this year. He just couldn't understand why since this is the first year he hasn't ever won. A couple of nice life lessons: you have to work hard to win, and life gets tougher the older you get. Sorry, kid! Harper, on the other hand, couldn't care less about winning anything. She didn't even smile at the judges and instead gave them an awkward, uncomfortable sneer. She is so not a fan of being the center of attention. They are such total opposites :)


Harrison's best friend, Zion, was there too (baby brother Silas not pictured)


Once we got to the festival we didn't stay very long. It was so hot. And I wasn't feeling good. And on top of the nausea, I've also been having major issues with my pelvis/lower back/hips and was hobbling around like an old lady. I parked myself at a picnic table while the kids got their faces painted and balloons made.

his 3rd sword, because they kept popping within 30 seconds since he insisted on using it like a real sword

This next picture still makes me laugh like an 7th grade boy. One of Harrison's swords partially deflated into something slightly inappropriate.


After the festival, the kids went swimming at my mom's and I took a nap because I felt like death. Meanwhile, Rick put his new ice cream maker to use and was quite proud of his slow churned concoction via his good friend Emeril. He raved about his masterpiece all day and it became a running joke. My mom brought the kids back home and our friends/neighbors Lindsay & Cory also joined us for some grilled hamburgers, baked beans, and desserts. Harper has been begging for a patriotic dessert so I made my grandma's no-bake recipe for cherry cheesecake. I had to take a picture because this is the first dish I've made in months. Which I know is pretty pathetic, but whatever. It is what it is and I don't have energy to feel guilty about it. Once I pop this kid out of me I will be back in full force and my family is going to LOVE the fact that I will be making them eat healthy meals again. Ha!



After dinner, we decided to skip going to watch the fireworks and instead played with some sparklers Lindsay and Cory had leftover from their wedding.


 

And I have to include this video of my precious kiddos singing the Star Spangled Banner while they were playing with their sparklers. Hearing their sweet voices sing this and the adorable way Harper says, "home of the bwave" makes me pretty sappy. For the last couple of weeks, they played a game where anytime they spotted an American flag they sang this. Over and over. And over. I won't lie, It got a little old hearing it a bajillion times, but I do love that they love our country and are patriotic even at a young age. It's refreshing to see their simple love and respect for America and for the soldiers who have sacrificed so much without any politics, negativity, or divisiveness polluting it.




Comments

Popular Posts