Summer So Far

Well, hello there. I didn't intend to take a blogging hiatus but I guess that's what naturally happens when you are sick for 2 weeks and trying to still salvage some summer fun in the process. I do have to say that it's been kind of nice to be unplugged for a while.

Here's a little of what we've been up to over the last few weeks according to my iphone pictures:

The kids and I met up with my sweet friend, Latrice. We used to work together at the bank and it was so great to catch up. She's making her way up the corporate ladder and I couldn't be prouder of her. I loved hearing about how everyone is doing and how much has changed since I left. And even though my life isn't glamorous and I had to make her meet me and my monkeys at Chick-fil-a since that's as fancy as we get these days, I am so grateful for the path my life has taken. I do miss working sometimes, but I know how blessed I am to get to spend my days with my sweet babies and I wouldn't trade my new "career" for the world.


We had to get in one last visit to the zoo before our membership expired.




Same with Palm Beach. We got 4 visits in this summer before last year's membership was up.



The kids finally saw their first rainbow. Harrison had been impatiently waiting to see a "real" one since they like to draw "pretend" ones all the time. He was SO excited. He was with my mom on a Beda date and ran into the house as fast as he could to tell us all about it.


Lots of sickness. Shocking, I know.

So also lots of just hanging around the house.

I'm not sure how long he had these on before I walked in and found him like this.

There are so many funny things about the next 2 pictures that I don't even know where to start.

You've got your librarian disco tap-dancing diva with shoes on the wrong feet and her heavy metal rock star brother giving me a performance with his t-ball tee as his electric guitar. I wish you could hear his awesome sound effects. There's pretty much not a single moment we're not being entertained by these two goobers.

We have been baking a lot lately. Harper loves to help out in the kitchen and we have a great time together. We made peach cobbler from scratch and she even helped me peel all the peaches. It was quite impressive for a 3 year old. Their favorite thing by far that we've made has been monkey bread. I hadn't had it since I was a little girl and it was just as good as I remember it being.


Sadie got a summer buzz and lost 10 lbs in the process.

And look who I caught spooning. There's a lot of love in this picture for someone who claims to not like cats. HA! (and check out that farmer's tan:) )


 The kids started swim lessons at the Y.


Harrison had his endoscopy. Going under and waking up from the anesthesia was quite traumatic for both him and me. He was so scared and started screaming and fighting and they asked me to come back and comfort him while they held him down until he passed out. He woke up screaming and fighting too, and then puked all over me. Poor baby. We were both in tears. The good news is his official diagnosis is acid reflux (GERD) and the doctor didn't see anything concerning that would indicate something more serious. He wants us to try to wean his dosage of Prevacid down to what's textbook for his weight and see if the improvement sticks or not. We follow up in 2-3 months to re-evaluate medication and in the meantime I've started overhauling his diet and cutting out all the processed junk. It's trial and error to see what he might be sensitive to so I'm starting with artificial food dyes -- it's been eye-opening to discover how many foods contain them. I've also read that there is a huge link between them and hyperactive/defiant behavior so that is just even more motivation to experiment cutting them out of his diet :) 


We celebrated 8 years of wedded bliss! We always exchange traditional anniversary gifts and year 8 is bronze. I thought I had outdone myself with the idea I came up with. I found some bronze tanning lotion and wanted to surprise him with a weekend getaway somewhere sunny and poolside. He was a step ahead of me though so I wasn't able to surprise him -- AND his gift to me totally trumped my idea as well. He sent off the kids' baby shoes to be dipped in bronze. I mean, come on. Perfect.

We dropped the kids off at his parents' house and then headed to San Antonio for the weekend. We spent the first day at Fiesta Texas. It was a ton of fun. There were no lines and it felt like we were kids again. Or at least until we were actually on the rides...then we definitely felt our age. And it probably wasn't my smartest move to ride a bunch of roller coasters while sick with a sinus infection and ear ache but you should have seen my husband. He was seriously like a kid in a candy store and there was no way I was going to spoil his fun!

(I didn't take very many pictures so thank you google images for helping me document our trip)


In between Fiesta Texas and dinner, we got cleaned up at the hotel and then stopped in at an urgent care clinic. I was on day 2 of a fever and my ears and throat were hurting and I didn't want it to get worse to the point of ruining our trip. I had some sort of throat and sinus infection so she called me in some antibiotics. Boo for being sick on vacation! I rallied though and even though I didn't feel up to it I forced myself to keep our dinner plans. Sooooo glad I did, too, because it was amazing. Seriously some of the best food I've had...but more importantly, great conversation in a romantic atmosphere with my favorite person. Plus they called us Mr. & Mrs. Boyd all night long...definitely much fancier than Chick-fil-a :)

On Saturday we headed to the J.W. Marriott Hill Country Resort & Spa. It was so lovely. Once again, I didn't take any pictures but look at how nice this place is:



We ate more delicious food and enjoyed some adult beverages and were having a great time poolside and in the lazy river. But there were families with kids everywhere and we found ourselves actually feeling sad and guilty that we ditched ours. So we quickly relocated to the adult pool and ordered some more drinks and suddenly we were all better again. :)

I had to add this picture Rick took because we seriously laughed for 5 minutes about how giant my arm looks. We may have had a few drinks by this point :)

Even though I wasn't feeling so hot it was still a fantastic weekend!


We had a fun, water-filled Father's Day weekend. We spent Saturday at Palm Beach and then came home and played in the water some more. Sunday we went to church and then over to Mom & Tim's house for burgers and swimming.

When I asked the kids what they wanted to get their dad, Harper's 100% unprompted response was "a shirt that doesn't have holes in it." Bahahahaha! If you know Rick, you know that since he was a kid he has always worn just a handful of shirts over and over and over until they have holes in them, and then he still continues to wear them. Doesn't matter that he has brand new shirts with tags in his closet. I literally have to throw his old ratty clothes away when he's not looking. It's sad when even the 3-year old notices your shabby wardrobe ;)  She was excited to pick him out a new shirt and Harrison chose a gift certificate to ride go-carts together and a "Fish Store" gift card (Bass Pro). They always go there together on their boy outings. And out of all 3 presents, a whopping 0 remained a surprise. totally can't trust 'em.


Tienna said…
That smile on Harper's face in the last picture is irresisitlbe. What a sweet little Daddy's girl she is. And your Anniversary vacay looked awesome!! Despite you feeling under the weather. Overall, what a fun summer so far!!

Popular Posts