Music To My Ears

Today was the day we heard the heartbeat of our babe for the first time! It was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard in my life. And now I don't feel like a fraud, ha! Even though my stomach and esophagus are screaming WTF at me for even thinking this, for some reason this pregnancy hasn't felt "real" to me yet. But the proof was right there on the big screen tv; we saw the baby swimming around having a good ol' time in my uterus.

Going into the appointment I was incredibly nervous. I keep waiting for the sky to fall and for someone to crush all of my dreams and tell me that I'm not pregnant anymore and that I can go ahead and stop being a big fat fraud already. I've always been a worst-case-scenario type of person and coupled with my hormones and extreme sickness (which has in turn led to some depression) I have become a giant, irrational, paranoid pile of messiness lately.

The ultrasound technician, who will be from this point on referenced as the Ultrasound Nazi, did not help ease these fears. She turned on the doppler for about 1.5 seconds and quickly shut it off so she could resume listening to her jazzy Adult Soft Rock playlist. When I asked her if that was the heartbeat that I think I just heard so to hint that she should in fact turn the doppler back on, she didn't even acknowledge me. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she also rejected my several attempts at small talk and general baby excitedness. Seriously, lady? If you don't like interacting with joyful first-time parents, get a new job! Luckily I saw Dr. Klein directly after the ultrasound and he redeemed the visit by letting us listen to the heartbeat for as long as we wanted. Nothing better than a great OB!

Anyway, I digress. Let's move on to some exciting, positive things - the photo session!

Presenting Baby Boyd:



His/her heart rate measured in at 156 bpm, which, according to the old wives' tales means she's sporting a vagina! Still too early to know for sure, though.




This picture totally creeps me out! Can you see the face staring at you? It looks like an alien! But it's the cutest little alien that I've ever seen. This momma's in love.


Anyway, it goes without saying that we are ecstatic to know that Baby Boyd is growing right on target. One trimester down, 2 more to go! The doc is hopeful that the nausea and vomiting should ease soon, and I pray that he is right! PLEEEEEASE be right!

Oh, and on a side note - during the entire ultrasound, the babe kept moving and swinging his left arm like crazy. Looks like he might be a genius lefty like his Momma! ;)

Comments

Popular Posts